Sunday, February 6, 2011

Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken take III)

I know I haven't posted in a week or two but I promise I have been cooking. I made a pretty decent Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) that wasn't quite as good as the second time I made it. I think part of that was using fresh tomatoes instead of canned pureed tomatoes - seems to make a big difference. The only problem is time and mess. The canned pureed variety make the job a lot simpler and less messy.

The recipe for this last one is located HERE if you are interested. Her recipe actually asked for fresh tomatoes but I substituted the canned ones. The only thing I would change about her recipe is pureeing the tomato/pepper mixture before adding the rest of the ingredients and also adding less ground methi leaves.
                                                     
In Pictures
Marinate the chicken
Chop up the onions, ginger, garlic, and chili peppers
  I pre toasted and ground the spices when I put the chicken in to marinate so that later all I had to do was dump them in!
 The onions have to cook for a really long time, they should be really soft.
 Add the spices and let them mingle.
 I baked the chicken but if it were warmer...it would be best to grill it.
 Add the tomato paste.

 Here is where real tomatoes would be better, I also wondered if using better ones, like Muir Glen would have helped.
Chopped chicken THIGHS
 I used half and half instead of full cream.
Here is the finished product. I just added some chopped cilantro leaves and put it over basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment