Friday, December 31, 2010

Banana Oatmeal "Crepes"


Right after I put the crepe mixture into the pan I realized I had forgotten the flour. But actually I'm glad I did, these turned out really good and I was able to add more to the inside and top while still keeping these in a decent calorie range. If you wanted to to add 1/4 cup of flour or so, it wouldn't hurt these.

Banana Oatmeal Crepes

1 egg
1 egg white
1/4 C milk
tsp jam (I used strawberry jam)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
splash of vanilla extract
an even smaller dash of maple syrup

1/4 Cup dry oats for oatmeal
jam
Yogurt (I used low-fat plain, but any type could be used)
1 banana

1. Beat egg and egg white with whisk or fork, then add the milk and beat again some.
2. Add milk, jam, cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup and mix to combine.
3. Set a burner on medium and in a large sized pan with a lid, add butter or non stick spray and pour mixture inside make sure to coat entire bottom of pan by tilting to get every surface. Cook with lid on for about 5 minutes or until crepe you can easily pull up sides with a spatula and it does not stick to the bottom or completely fall apart. Flip over and allow to cook on opposite side for a minute or two and then remove to plate.
4. Meanwhile add 1/4 cup rolled oats and 1/2 cup water to a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes then add a bit more jam to the bowl.
5. Add oatmeal, chopped bananas, and yogurt (your choice the amount) to the inside of the crepe, spreading to all edges, then roll up like a burrito. I also added additional yogurt and banana slices to the top.

*Note - If you weren't worried about the sugar content, you could add syrup to the top and/or brown sugar inside. These would be good with all different combinations of fruit/yogurt/possibly granola/etc. Also you could add a bit of flour to the batter and it would hold together just a little better.

In Pictures







What I Learned -

1. Be patient when cooking things on the stove top. These would have completely fallen apart had I not waited long enough.
2. I like having a variety of breakfasts, I never thought I would. Always just liked my cereal in the morning, but this adventure is turning out to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment