Thursday, December 30, 2010

Coffee and Cereal

As some might already know, I've chosen this week to abstain from both coffee and cereal. Yes, coffee and cereal. Some of you might think that sounds like an odd combination, but really it makes sense, kinda. Reasoning? Well, the week around Christmas I started eating very poorly, exercising less,  and feeling yucky all day long from all the sugar, lack of movement, and probably excess caffeine. In the days after Christmas I began having these strange bouts of ultimate tiredness. A wave of exhaustion would suddenly wash over me, and I just wanted to curl up on the floor right in front of me and have a snooze. I took this as a warning sign and decided to change things up a bit. So Starting a few days ago, on Tuesday, I made a resolution to eat something besides sugary cereal every morning (like I have for the last 4 years or so) and also no coffee for a week. 
     So far the no cereal thing hasn't been too bad, some mornings I'm really hungry right when I wake up and just want something now! But, I did receive a waffle maker from my mom from Christmas and have had some pumpkin waffles on hand in the fridge. I had half a slice of Christmas egg strata and half a waffle on the first morning.  I found that I had made the waffles too dense on the first try and decided to make waffle french toast with it the next morning. That was pretty good, albeit the best part were the edges where the french toast batter was.  I then made a delicious crepe/Swedish pancake with the leftover batter and filled it with yogurt, jam, and cinnamon, mmm. This morning I made a waffle sandwich with peanut butter, applesauce, yogurt, and strawberry jam. That worked out really well because I toasted and then cut the dense Belgian waffles in half and used each hearty piece as a yummy sandwich half.
   As far as the coffee goes, I haven't gotten a headache, which I take to be a good sign. I'm glad I'm not a heavy coffee/caffeine consumer, I try to limit it to one cup a day, two if I'm especially tired. That makes this process much easier. However, I have noticed I've been feeling tired right around the time I normally go get my morning cup (shortly after breakfast). Yesterday morning I ended up going back to bed at about 10:30 am. Last night I started feeling pretty tired at work, and so had some really good chamomile citrus tea.  I feel a little better this morning as far as the tiredness goes, we'll see how I fair tonight!
    Once I get the batteries in my camera charged up, I will start posting some of the yummy breakfasts I have planned. Good day all.

No comments:

Post a Comment