Friday, February 25, 2011

Homemade Paneer Cheese

The original recipe can be found:
Paneer Recipe HERE

Homemade Paneer (Indian Cheese)

1/2 gallon milk (I used 1% but higher fat percentage may make it even better)
2-3 Tbsp Lemon Juice (I used concentrate)

Her instructions are as follows:

Line a colander with a double layer of cheesecloth. If you'd like to keep the whey for another purpose, set the colander over a bowl to catch the whey. Otherwise, you can just set it in your sink.
In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, bring the milk to a boil. Keep an eye on it because it can boil over very quickly.
When it comes to a boil, turn off the heat and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Stir until milk separates completely separates into curds and whey (see below). If it doesn't seem to be separating completely, add another tablespoon of lemon juice.

*This is also how you make ricotta cheese just you don't get as much liquid out or put it under a heavy object. Just use at the stage in the cheese cloth before squeezing out all the excess.

In Pictures
I used 1% milk, that's all I had.
 Line a strainer or colander with double layer cheesecloth
 Let it come to a boil
 Once it boils, take off heat and add lemon juice while stirring until it separates then pour into strainer.
 Allow to drain then when cool enough gather up and squeeze the rest of the liquid out.
  I put it in a bowl under a bowl under my heavy tortilla press for about 30 minutes.
 It didn't make as much cheese as I had hoped. I'm not sure if that's because I used 1% milk or if I didn't boil it for long enough? Either way it tasted good!
 I put it with rice, thawed peas, and a jarred Indian curry madras sauce.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment