Sunday, October 31, 2010

I'm a Part Time PI


Like all good parents, as the owner of a doberman, I'm also a part time detective. Or in my case a PI - Pet Investigator. I know the guilty look well. The spine curves up, and the foot strides lose forward progression as each paw comes up higher, as if tip-toeing toward you when called to come. The head goes down, the eyebrows peel back, and the eyes peer up at you with slight trepidation - The body language of submission with a healthy drop of fear. This happened yesterday after Brett told me that Bruno had been sucking on the wrong blanket earlier. I said "You did what? You know you aren't supposed to do that." And Bruno comes slinking around the corner, body morphed into said guilty look. This once happened when I had zucchini bread cooling in the kitchen. I called out "Bruno!" and got no response when he normally comes running. Yup, I found him up on the counter about to take a bite out of my freshly baked bread. Said guilty look ensued.
     When we first got Bruno we were reading all about the breed and came across a story of an owner whose work sponges kept disappearing. He asked everyone in his family if they might have taken them and his family responded that no, they had not. He then had his suspicions about his dog being the culprit. A few times when he hadn't seen his dog in a while, he went down to the room where the sponges were stored, but he always found the doberman relaxing non-suspiciously in the room nearby as  if he'd been in there for a while. One day the man's spidey sense went on high alert and he rushed down into the "sponge room" to find his dog en route to the "non-suspicious" spot with bits of sponge all around and inside his mouth. The doberman had been eating them! That doberman was good, not even the guilty look after perpetrating the crime!
     Early this morning at 0430, I woke up to Brett saying "Bruno?" and then heard 3 paw clicks on the hardwood floor before he was back in bed, curled up like he'd been there all night. Part time detective that I am, I scoured the house for poos, I mean clues, and other wet spots. No, he doesn't normally go in the house, but you never know right? I even got down on all fours to check the new carpet for possible spots, but didn't find a thing. What was Bruno doing?
     So now I'm wondering, is this a regular thing? Does Bruno get up every night and wander around? Maybe he does all the stuff he's not allowed to do during the day: lift the lid of the garbage can, sniff the kitchen for crumbs, lay on the furniture, side chew his blanky, use my clothes as his bed? I did find a suspiciously Bruno shaped indent in my bathrobe in the closet, could be a coincidence. Perhaps I should have felt his blanky for moisture like a parent checks their kid's tooth brush? I did close the closet door, the 2nd bedroom door where his toys were and partially closed our bedroom door so he would have to skim by it to get out again.
   Did you know they have cameras you can strap to your pet's collar to see what they do all day? No, I'm not going to do that, but I do think that would be neat for an outside cat on the prowl. Who knows where those cats go everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment